Friday, July 31, 2009

A Story from Iraq

Check out the story here
http://www.digitaljournalist.org/issue0409/dis_borkgren.html

I'm putting up this picture for 2 reasons. 1. I'm considering going back to the M.E. for awhile and two I have received a bunch of emails asking me about this picture that I took while in Iraq. I was on patrol with the 1st Cav unit when they pulled over to help some brothers dismantle an IED. It was actually a trap and at this moment the humvee was hit by a mortar. I was trying to not shake while I shot but as you see I was shaking. I had left my flac jacket and helmet inside because I thought it was safe. Never assume such silly things when on assignment. The gunner got hit but survived. I shot this picture as rocks and shrapnel was falling all around me. Then I too threw myself on the ground to protect my eyes and head. If you look closely you can see one of the guys leaning next to the humvee trying to avoid the shrapnel flying everywhere.

Destination Wedding Photography and Engagement photography a must to visit: http://www.BorkgrenPhoto.net

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I always wondered, how photographers could face dangers like that, for a picture. What did it feel like, being right there? Right in the middle of it?

Photocat said...

I find it inappropriate that you put up a link to your wedding site underneath an article out of Iracq.
I admire you for what you do, but you need to get your stories straight and keep separate what needs to be kept separate...

love said...

Miss Fluff,
My knees knock together when I am scared.

Manzur said...

I liked your website. Read the Congo story, quite heartbreaking. Enjoyed the Ambush story. felt very sad when I saw the photo story Challenged. But again it was good to see happy and lovely wedding photos. They are quite refreshing.

love said...

Photocat, nothing is this world is separate. You may have boundaries, but my boundaries are not yours. The world's boundaries are not yours. My world overlaps. My life is one whole piece - not separated.
I have been blessed with incredible wedding couples that hire me to photograph their wedding.

Most couples I work with are intelligent, educated, world wise and involved. They are curious about and want to support the work I do overseas.
So before you slash around orders, as you do in your post, why don't you ask some questions next time?

Embrace love, compassion, charity and wisdom.


I'm not deleting your post. Feel free here. I hope you learn and grow.

Lori Laws said...

Wow, Sherrlyn...very cool blog! What an adventurous job and life you have, but all to the gory of God! This is Lori from PERSEVERE. I was reading some of my archived posts, and came across a comment from you, and you left your site address. I never came, I don't know why. But what a great blog!. My husband is also a Professional Photographer. I will definitely come back soon. Also going to link here from my blog. Have a great day and God bless!

Come On In

Post a note, a poem, a newsbit whatever you please.


Thanks to a very cool out of the box kinda guy, Gary Klein who made it all happen!!!!! Yeah Gary
Also Dr. V. Bose my surface hippy friend in Chennai, India many many thanks.



Santorini Greece, Fiji or Jamaica? 

My Blog List